On February 26th the International Trade Council partnered with Nabil Nahra, President of Premium Products International, for an overview of international sales and distribution. With 37 years of experience in global marketing, Nabil has a treasure trove of unique stories evidencing just how necessary a global perspective is to succeeding and growing your business.
Here are some key takeaways:
- Understanding what your clients' (and their clients') needs and wants is key. Hone in on who the real decision maker is and be sure they are included in the conversation.
- Always offer more, ask additional questions, and seek to understand the local market needs.
- Build your business plan anticipating setbacks/difficulties. For Nabil, samples seem to be a constant difficulty – traveling with them, having enough, clients requesting to keep them, etc.
- Think outside the box, identify your obstacles, and problem solve creatively.
- Be able to identify and discuss what makes your offerings different than your competitors – honor your commitments, and deliver on your promises.
- While technology is helpful, never underestimate the value of visiting local markets.
By Kelly Steck, ITC Board Member